***We Are Looking For A Conference Producer***
If your core skill sets include conference production, event operations, on-site management, circus juggling, AND you’re interested in early-stage tech, AND you’re willing to bust a$$ to get the job done, this may be the perfect role for you.
500 Startups is looking for a conference producer (Event Operations) to join our SF-based team. As part of the events division, you’ll be a huge force in the backend operations associated with our startup and investor conferences, Demo Days, and “Geeks On A Plane” world tech tours. It’s a highly detail-driven role and requires someone who is a flexible perfectionist, understands event technology platforms, gets the tech/startup scene, is a team player and is a do-er more than a scene-ster.
This position is based out of our San Francisco office.
Want a taste of the fun? Here’s footage from our Demo Day in Feb 2017:
See our recent event photos here of all our conferences: facebook.com/500startups
To Love This Position, You MUST Be Wildly Passionate About:
> Timeline Management — You’ll build extremely clear, detailed & logical timelines associated with each event, prioritizing workflow each day and ensuring all associated deadlines are met on time
> Speaker Communications — You’ll be a point-of-contact for speaker logistics
> Vendor Management — You’ll interview, negotiate with & manage vendors before, during & after events
> Volunteer Recruitment & Management — You’ll interview, select & train volunteers to assist with conferences & events
> Attendee Communications & Customer Service — You’ll communicate efficiently & effectively with “customers” (event attendees) to ensure their questions are answered and their needs are met
> On-Site Show Production — You’ll oversee all areas of the show, including pre-event setup, registration, food & beverage service, A/V coordination, speaker/attendee/sponsor needs, etc.
> Online Event & Marketing Platform Management — > Online Marketing & Event Platforms – G Suite, Eventbrite, Hubspot, WordPress, YouTube, & more to handle event registration & customer service, event website maintenance, invitations & email marketing, video archiving + more. You have a knack for marketing! You’re able to predict and implement trends and continuously source new outlets for marketing and promotion.
> Organizational Database & Systems Management — You’ll manage our event databases, ensuring all deadlines are met and all info is documented & up-to-date. You’ll also build templates and create solid, repeatable processes
> Plus other areas of operations, coordination, juggling & tomfoolery… 😉
WARNINGS IN ADVANCE!
- We produce 10+ large events per year, so there’s A LOT of work (ahem, opportunity). Eighty percent of the job will involve vendor outreach, meeting deadlines, keeping up with massive amounts of email and staying hyper-organized. We have 200-500 attendees per event, plus 30-50 speakers, relying on us for organization and information per event–so we don’t have much room for error.
- This isn’t an easy-going atmosphere, despite our t-shirts & flip-flops. We move quickly & get a lot done. This requires a tight-knit culture steeped in productivity, speed, precision & focus. Do-ers & entrepreneurs excel in this environment, but we’re not gonna lie–we’re pretty hard core.
- To thrive here, you must be a self-starting problem solver. Sometimes instructions are crystal clear. Sometimes there are no instructions. You will need to improvise, ideate, infer & find solutions in the midst of extreme ambiguity, and often, urgency. If you crave certainty and predictability, this isn’t the place for you.
- We’re fairly flat, so there are no conventional promotions. There are regular 1:1 reviews and bonuses over time. The sense of growth comes with the things you create. We need someone who wants to grow with 500 but also knows that growth requires serious perspiration. Like, really sweaty stuff. And sweat equity is true here – we’re looking for people who are incredibly motivated to think bigger, move faster, and do more.
Why This Job Rocks:
- We do events & community—in Silicon Valley and GLOBALLY. You’ll spend your days (and often nights) working with tech’s leading giants worldwide, finding connections in new places, researching, talking, and helping to build out programs and events that actually help startups & partners all over the world.
- 500 culture is the shizzle. We love wit, and we value risk-takers. We are all truly passionate about our company, and we care for each other as co-workers and people. We call ourselves a ‘500 family’ for a reason.
- Startup life = Never a dull day. Each day is different, unique, challenging, exhausting, and exciting. We’re still a startup, so you’ll never (ever) get bored or feel uninspired. We promise.
- This position offers a competitive salary + kick-ass benefits package (medical, vision, dental) & additional perks, including lunches, unlimited vacation policy, cell phone reimbursement, global travel opportunities.
About 500 Startups
- Our team of 150 people live in 20 countries and speak over 25 languages.
- We have invested in over 1,600 startups that come from more than 60 countries.
- We are headquartered in Mountain View and San Francisco with a third office in Mexico City serving as our LatAm HQ. We have teams in Bahrain, Bangalore, Bangkok, Beijing, Berlin, Delhi, Ho Chi Minh City, Istanbul, Kuala Lumpur, London, Los Angeles, New York, Riyadh, Saigon, São Paulo, Seoul, Singapore, Taipei, Tel Aviv, Toronto, and Tokyo.
About Our Culture:
At 500 Startups, we believe having fun, moving quickly, taking risks, and learning from mistakes are the keys to building a healthy, successful company. We greatly value entrepreneurial initiative and a can-do attitude, and we always aim for the stars. Our culture is highly collaborative, and distinctly community oriented. Our team comes from more than 20 countries, and we have invested in startups in over 60 countries. About half our team is female, and more than half are people of color (only a few of us are hillbillies). About half of us like peanut butter and jelly; the other half thinks disco dancing is still cool. We look and act different from most other venture capitalists, and we kinda like it that way. Our founders are also diverse; we work hard to discover and invest in people who come from many different walks of life. With 10,000 square feet of open-plan office space in the heart of Mexico City, Silicon Valley, and San Francisco, we are rapidly growing and looking for team members who bring passion, intelligence, and “do-er” mentality to the mix. To learn more about 500, check out our YouTube channel, our press mentions, and our facebook.
Think You Have What it Takes?
Complete the form HERE and provide the link to a youtube video where you tell us…
- Who are you?
- Where are you from, and where do you live now?
- What have you done before that will make you ideal for this role?
- What are your salary and job requirements?
- What else do you want us to know about you? (Don’t hold back!)